Impairment Physicians


Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) provides for an impairment benefit to all nuclear weapons and uranium workers who quality (a few exceptions e.g. some direct DOE employees can only qualify for Part B and not this Part E benefit, please contact us for clarification).

An impairment award is money for the permanent loss or function of a body part or organ because of an illness covered under EEOICPA. The claim must be verified by medical evidence and the severity of the loss measured by percentage points. For each one percent of impairment, the US Department of Labor (DOL) awards $2,500.

The DOL determines impairment ratings based on an evaluation they receive from a specially trained and certified physician. Nuclear weapons and uranium employees have two options for getting an impairment evaluation. One is that employees can choose a specially certified physician they like to perform the evaluation. The second is that the DOL gathers results of certain diagnostic tests and then assigns a DOL appointed physician to calculate an impairment evaluation based on those test results.

For more information about Impairment Physicians and the process of determining impairment, please contact the CWP Help Center toll-free at (888) 903-8989 or email us.