NIOSH Advisory Board
NIOSH ADVISORY BOARD
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is a research agency focused on worker safety and health. It is part of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a division under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and maintains the Division of Compensation Analysis and Support (DCAS). DCAS is primarily responsible for estimating work-related radiation exposure (dose reconstruction) for certain workers with cancer who filed claims under Part B of EEOICPA.
The Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health (also referred to as the NIOSH Advisory Board or the Advisory Board) was established by the President on December 7, 2000. The Advisory Board:
- Includes individuals from the public that represent a balance of scientific, medical, and worker points of view.
- Advises the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on its activities under the EEOICPA.
The Advisory Board advises the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services on:
- The development of the final rules on:
- The methods used for completing radiation dose reconstructions.
- The guidelines used to assess the likelihood that an employee’s cancer was caused by their work at a DOE or AWE facility.
- The procedures for adding additional classes of employees to the Special Exposure Cohort (SEC).
- The scientific validity and quality of dose reconstruction efforts performed by NIOSH.
- Whether there is a class of employees who should be added to the SEC. The Advisory Board’s recommendation is based on:
- Whether the class of employees was exposed to radiation and it is not feasible to estimate their radiation dose.
- Whether there is reasonable likelihood that such radiation doses may have endangered the health of members of the class.
The Advisory Board welcomes written comments from claimants, advocates, energy employees, Congressional offices, and the general public. Comments can be faxed to the attention of the Advisory Board at 513-533-6826 or submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.