Industry News | CWP Admin
Do you or someone you know have a problem with medical bills, covered under EEOICPA, getting paid? Here’s a couple of helpful hints
November 15, 2019
November 15, 2019
Helpful hints in resolving unpaid EEOICPA medical bills
Occasionally, a worker approved for conditions or diseases under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Act (EEOICPA) runs into problems where the Department of Labor denies a medical bill. One reason that a claim may be denied is that the medical provider used a billing code which has not been assigned to the worker. There are a number of resources that are available to the claimant to help resolve the issues.
Your U.S. Department of Labor medical white card does have a toll-free number that can be called to straighten things out. That number is 866-272-2682.
However, if you don’t have the time to wait for a customer service representative or if you are still having difficulties after the call you can email the Department of Labor’s Division of Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation (DEEOIC) Branch of Medical Benefits at: DEEOICbillinquires@dol.gov. This email address is only to be used for inquiries about billing issues related to DEEOIC’s medical bill processing contractor; presently Conduent. If you have any other questions regarding your claim, please contact your DOL claims examiner.
If you prefer talking to someone in person, the local Energy Employees Resource Center is there to help.
Below are step-by-step instructions to find out the billing code DEEOIC assigned to you:
- Go to DEEOIC’s home page https://www.dol.gov/owcp/energy/
- Under “How to Guides” in the left column, click on “Claimant/Authorized Representatives.”
- Click on the “Medical Bill Portal” block.
- Click on “Medical Bill Processing Portal.”
- Read the “Agreement” and click “Accept.”
- The next page is the Claimant log-in. The “Case File Number” is your Social Security Number. Do not use dashes. The “Card ID Number” is the number on your white medical card. Then the date as directed.
- This will take you to the “Bill Status Inquiry” page.
- At the very top left-hand corner of this page is “Eligibility and Accepted Conditions.” Click on that.
- Click on “List Accepted Conditions for a Claimant.”
- Click “Submit.”
You should now see they type of ICD 9 or ICD 10 code assigned to the disease or condition and the name of the covered condition.
This information will be valuable to your medical providers when they submit invoices for your care; and it would be helpful to them if you provide them with those codes since they are no longer listed on your white medical card. If you have further questions, please contact the Cold War Patriots Help Center at 888.903.8989.